Search Filters for Products in your Virtual Store
- Filters Order in the Theme
- Activation and Deactivation of Filters
- Tips to Improve the Customer Purchase Experience Using Filters
- Special Prerequirements
Having filters to help with product searches is a very convenient strategy to create a better browsing experience for your customers. As the quantity of products grows in your store, the filters become more necessary to help your customers narrow down and refine their searches.
In order to access the functionality of product filters, your store must be subscribed to a Premium plan.
The product search filters in your virtual store are generated from 2 elements:
1. Product Options
Product options are the ones that allow you to generate product variants such as size, color, measurements, etc. You create them on the product page.
For everything to work correctly keep in mind that the product options that give way to the variants once created, must be called exactly the same in all products. If in the first product it was created as "Sizes" for example, it must be called exactly "Sizes" for the rest.
Learn more about product options.
2. "Select List" type custom fields
Select list type custom fields are those that allow you to assign characteristics such as brand, aroma, season... any product characteristic that helps to group them, but do not create a variation of that product.
For example, a product can have several sizes (variants) but not several brands (custom field). A perfume can have several presentations (variants) but it will belong to a single aroma (product option). You create them on the product page. Once the custom field is created, can be selected from the custom fields drop-down list.
Learn more about custom fields.
Every time you create a new product option or a new custom field in some product, these attributes will be saved as filters and will be visible in the list of available filters in your Admin Panel > Products > Filters.
Filters Order in the Theme
In design themes, filters will always appear in a column to the left of the content. Your top-down order can be rearranged in the filter list.
You can change the order of the filters simply by dragging them to the desired position:
This order in the filter list:
Corresponds to this order of filters in the theme:
Activation and Deactivation of Filters
Notice how the "Color" filter does not appear in the previous image like the rest of the filters, this is because a filter can be deactivated in the switch control (on/off).
Tips to Improve the Customer Purchase Experience Using Filters
- Use "thematic" filters: Think about topics that can help your customer get related products. If you sell t-shirts, you could have themes for reasons such as Super Heroes, Musical Groups, Pop Culture, etc.
- Make sure the filters are relevant to your customers. Filters should answer the purchase questions that your customer might ask. If your products are sunglasses, you could have filters for face shapes for example. You would answer the purchase question: What sunglasses would fit my face shape better?
- Place at the beginning of the filter column those that are most important to your customers. For example, an "On Sale" filter can be very attractive at the beginning of the list and effective to increase the probability of purchase.
- To name the filters use simple words and terms that your client would use. Avoid technical terms of your industry but little used by your customers.
Now if your store was created before 2020 and is already subscribed to the premium plan, you have two options to incorporate the functionality:
If your store does not have modifications or design customizations: You just have to reinstall the design theme that you are using in your store in its updated version. This is simply done from the theme gallery of your store. Keep in mind that this will install the theme again and you will have to configure the theme options such as colors, banners, sliders, etc.
If you have design customizations in your theme: You must write to our support so that your store is evaluated, the design team generates a quote and the functionality is incorporated without losing the customizations that already your theme has. If you don't want to invest extra, you can use the first option and reinstall the theme from the beginning.
If you need more help, feel free to contact us.